Fire blankets are essential tools, which can be used to suffocate a flame. They are great for people who do not know how to use a fire extinguisher. These fire blankets can also be used as a backup in case the fire extinguisher is not within reach or a problem has occurred.
For those of you who are confused as to what fire safety blankets are and how do they work? Well, let us explain, they are blankets made from fireproof materials that can withstand high temperatures of about 450 degrees celsius.
They work by suffocating the flame of any oxygen and hence slowly extinguishing it. So it’s best to keep one in your home and within reach.
Today we are going to be looking at the different ways on how to use a fire blanket
To keep up with the latest trends and gadgets to reduce and extinguish potential fires be sure to check us out at firefightertools.co, where we discuss everything from the classes of fire to where to install your smoke detectors and everything in between.
Fire blanket Uses:
Fire blankets are very versatile in their usage, here are some of the most common uses of these lifesavers:
- Fire blankets can be used to escape from a room that has caught on fire, it can be used to safely carry babies and small children through a burning building.
- These fire blankets can be used to extinguish fires both indoors and outdoors, however, for larger fires that occur outdoor you need a larger fire blanket.
- They can be used to extinguish clothes caught on fire.
- Fire blankets can be used to extinguish cars caught on fire.
Now, let’s discuss some of these different scenarios and how you can use your fire blanket, in the said scenario:
How to use a Fire blanket: Extinguishing small fires
- Most, if not all, fireproof safety blankets have tags that extended from their bag. They are used for the quick deployment of these blankets. So the first step on how to use a fire blanket is to pull these two tabs. The blanket will then open up and can now be used to cover up the flame.
- In the next step on how to use a fire blanket, you have to place the fireproof safety blanket on the fire and cover it up as best as you can. It is absolutely essential that you protect your hands as well. For this, you can use the edges of the blanket itself or fireproof gloves.
- Also make sure that the source of the flame is off, for example, if the fire was in the kitchen and was caused by the stove then be a user to cut off the gas supply to the stove so that it doesn’t slow down the flame suffocation process.
- Once this is done wait for at least 15 minutes so that the fire settles down, you may see smoke rising from the blanket itself but that is a common occurrence.
- Once you are completely sure that the fire has been extinguished then remove the blanket by using fireproof gloves and safely place it on a surface that can withstand high temperatures as the blanket will still be hot from the whole process. Now you know, how to use a fire blanket the proper way.
- Even if you remotely sense that the situation is getting out of control then you should instantly call the fire department and let the professionals handle the situation.
How to use a fire blanket: Extinguishing clothes caught on fire
Fireproof safety blankets can also be used to put out the fire on an individual’s clothes. For this quickly release the fire blanket and cover-up the clothing of the individual.
Next, instruct them to lay down on the floor and roll quickly from side to side. This should essentially suffocate the flame and it should extinguish.
Since the fire could’ve been in direct contact with the individual, it’s best to immediately take them to a medical professional so that they can properly assess the situation and the ten to the burns.
Maintenance of the fireproof safety blanket:
Now that you’ve learned how to use a fire blanket, it’s fitting that you also learn the correct way to maintain your fireproof safety blanket.
So the first thing that you should know about your safety blanket is that it isn’t reusable, each safety blanket can only be used a single time. So it’s best to replace and restock your safety blanket supply if an unfortunate incident like a fire accident occurs.
The other important thing that you should know about your safety blanket is that it needs a cool down period. After suing the safety blanket, the heat remains trapped within the blanket for some time.
Therefore it needs to cool down first before you can properly dispose of it. You should always check a used safety blanket to see if it’s not too hot to throw away. It is still is then let it cool, you can also use water to quickly cool it off.
One of the most important and essential tips on how to use a fire blanket is the fact that it should be placed in an area that is, easy to reach and also is in a position form where it can be deployed easily.
In other words, it should be placed in an area where it is clearly visible and enough room should be left around it to easily pull down on the tags.